My friend’s daughter came home from college over the holiday break with a few extra things: 25, to be exact, according to her.
She claims she packed on 25 pounds her first semester away at college. Between late-night pizza orders, buffet-style dining and an irregular exercise schedule, the pounds snuck up on her.
Her mom came up with some healthy snack ideas to send back with her. These would also work well in an office or even just at home:
- Yogurt-covered raisins
- Cucumber sandwiches (cucumber slice spread with tzatziki sauce then topped with another cucumber slice)
- Spread a small, whole-grain tortilla with natural peanut butter. Place a banana on top; roll up and enjoy.
- Top a whole-grain English muffin with a slice of tomato and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Toast and serve.
- Toss Greek yogurt with blueberries. Freeze.
- Toasted almonds
- String cheese
- 99% fat-free microwave popcorn
- Fill the hollowed out part of half an avocado with tuna. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Celery or carrots with hummus
- Toss chickpeas with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until they’re crispy.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Freeze grapes for a sweet treat.
- Hard-boiled eggs