Happy Valentine’s Day!
Let’s talk about keeping your heart…and those of the people you love…healthy.
There are some simple things you can do to love your ticker this month (and every month).
According to the American Heart Association, the first steps you should take toward heart health include:
- Eat healthy. This means consuming plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and fiber.
- Get active. Try to do 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise each day. This can be done in three 10-minute bursts if that suits your lifestyle best.
- Stay at a healthy weight. You can do this by eating healthy and getting exercise.
- Quit smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke. This includes vaping.
- Control your cholesterol and blood pressure. Diet and exercise, as well as maintaining a healthy weight, go far in helping both of those.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation, defined as no more than 4 drinks a week.
- Manage stress. Believe it or not, diet and exercise help you do that as well. Try journaling, coloring, yoga or other cognitive exercises to help you get it under control.
Consult your physician about the specific things you need to do to improve your overall health, which will lead to a stronger heart.