share. The Brookshire's Blog

Healthy Living: Tomato Potato Soup


Tomato Potato SoupI know you read that title and did a double take.

I did too when I asked my boyfriend what he wanted for dinner, and he said, “Something healthy, like a tomato potato soup.”

Now, I ask him what he wants for dinner EVERY time I plan menus, and his answer 99 percent of the time is “steak.” The other 1 percent is “whatever you want.”

I love cooking for him. Cooking for him might be my love language, but he rarely tells me what he wants. Plus, he’s super picky.

So, when he does tell me something he wants, I do my best to make it happen. Thus, Tomato Potato Soup.

As strange as it sounds, it turned out amazing, even though I was totally winging it.

Tomatoes are full of antioxidants and vitamins C and A. You can sneak carrots into this soup because they are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B-8, pantothenic acid, folate, potassium, iron, copper and manganese, not to mention onions for vitamin C and chromium. Then, there’s the garlic, which cures just about anything this time of year, and the potatoes, which provide tons of potassium and fiber.

Tomato Potato Soup

Ingredients:
3 baking potatoes, peeled and diced (divided)
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 large white onion, diced
2 Tbs garlic, minced
2 Tbs dried oregano
2 Tbs dried basil
2 Tbs dried parsley
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
2 (14.5 oz) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 Tbs butter
1 (32 oz) box beef stock

Directions:
Microwave potatoes until fork-tender; set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large, heavy stockpot until fragrant and shimmering. Add onions; sauté until soft and opaque. Add garlic; cook for 1 more minute. Add 1/3 of potatoes, and continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in oregano, basil, parsley, red pepper, salt and pepper.

Stir in 1 can of fire-roasted tomatoes to deglaze the pan. Add in remaining diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to high heat, stirring frequently.

In another large pan, melt butter until bubbly. Stir in potatoes; cook over medium-high heat until potatoes are tender but not browned. Set aside.

When tomato mixture comes to a boil, turn to low. Continue to simmer for 1 hour or until mixture reduces. Puree in a food processor. Depending on volume of tomato mixture, stream in as much beef stock as the bowl of the food processor can contain; pulse until well-blended. Return to pot. Add rest of beef stock and reserved potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, and simmer until ready to serve.

Serves 8

Nutritional Information: Calories Per Serving: 180, Calories from Fat: 48, Fat: 5 g (2 g Saturated Fat), Cholesterol: 8 mg, Sodium: 1139 mg, Potassium: 1028 mg, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 9 g, Protein: 6 g.

View this recipe to print or add items to My Shopping List.


Product Talk

Each Monday we feature a new or interesting product.

Healthy Living

Tips on maintaining a healthy lifestyle, every Tuesday.

Shop the Sale

On Wednesdays, get a tip or idea on using an item in the circular.

Family Matters

Ideas for the whole family come to you every Thursday.

Dine In

Stop fighting the crowds, save money and dine in, every Friday.

Mi Blog Hispano

De Todo un Poco