I was looking through my folder of interesting articles and ran across an old one from Woman’s Day Magazine (July 2007, to be exact) called “The Five Most Underrated Foods.” These are foods that don’t get the credit they deserve for being healthy.
So what are those 5 underrated foods?
- Strawberries: one cup has more vitamin C than an orange, plus fiber to help maintain blood sugar levels.
- Eggs: Eggs are great sources of choline (good for brain health) and protein, and the dietary cholesterol in eggs has been shown to not damage blood cholesterol levels significantly.
- Salmon: All fish are high in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids but salmon has one of the highest levels.
- Avocados: They’re loaded with fat, but it’s the good-for-you monosaturated fat that can actually help reduce your bad cholesterol numbers.
- Kiwi: Two or three kiwi a day can help reduce blood clotting, which is a factor in heart attacks. Kiwi is also rich in fiber, which is important to protect against heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
I’m happy to say that I love all five of the five underrated foods. How about you?