Coffee is America’s favorite beverage. While most of us enjoy a nice steaming cup from time to time, not so many of us know the best ways to brew it. Here are a few tips for enjoying coffee to the fullest.
- Use good coffee beans and grind them yourself. Freshness matters, and once beans are ground, they start to get stale. Compared to coffee house prices, even the most premium beans are a bargain!
- Use filtered water. Since coffee is 98% water, it makes sense to use good water.
- Heat water to a full boil to extract the most flavor from the beans.
- Use the correct grind. Medium to coarse grinds for a press pot, medium to fine for drip or espresso makers.
- Preheat your cup to retain the heat in your coffee longer. Fill a mug half full and microwave for 30 seconds.
- If using flavored syrups, use 1 oz syrup per 12 oz brewed coffee.
- Place 2 squares of chocolate (or 2 oz chocolate syrup) in your mug before pouring. Add milk to make it creamy and chocolaty.