Potatoes have a bad image because they have 26 grams of carbohydrates (for a medium potato). But potatoes are fat free, only 150 calories, and full of vitamin C and potassium.
To bake a potato: Preheat oven to 350° F. Wash and dry the potato; prick several times with a fork—this allows steam to escape.
If desired, rub potatoes very lightly with vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt (this helps the skin become crispy, but isn’t essential).
Place potatoes in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until a fork can pierce into the center easily—about an hour, depending on the size of the potatoes. Cut in half or split open; add your favorite toppings.
The Top Toppers For Baked Potato Bar:
- SALSA – fat free and only 10 calories
- LOADED – butter, sour cream, bacon bits, chives and shredded cheese
- POTATO POLLO – grilled onions and chicken strips
- SPICY SPUD – a ladle of chili con carne, plus cheese and onions
- PIZZA POTATO – pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and mushrooms