It’s such a vague concept: a healthy diet. What makes up a healthy diet? What are the basics of eating healthy—especially when it comes to our children? We want them to be healthy and strong, but we also know that it’s hard to stick to a restrictive eating plan.
Healthy Eating Basics:
1. Give kids a healthy variety of foods and let them make choices from that group.
2. Tune into hunger cues. Teach kids to eat when they’re hungry, job just because it’s a habit (like while watching TV)
3. Eat until you’re satisfied—don’t insist on a clean plate.
4. Make sure everyone eats breakfast.
5. Keep snacks, like cut up veggies, fruit and whole-grain crackers in easy-to-reach spots.